The building as built in 1949 to provide accommodation up to four steam locomotives employed to work the quarry railway. The building was extended in 1958 to accommodate a fifth locomotive. The shed fell out of railway use when the quarry railway closed in 1974 but continued to be used for agricultural storage for a few years. The building was offered for sale in 1978 and acquired by the museum. The building was carefully dismantled by the museums volunteers and transported to Rutland. The structure was re-built by volunteers at the museum site at Cottesmore between 1984-6 and returned to railway use.