The Museum has the left hand drivers cab from the 1675 ton W1400 walking dragline “Sundew” which worked at Exton Park Ironstone Quarry, Rutland. The machine was built at the Ipswich Works of Ransomes and Rapier and supplied in kit form for construction on-site at Exton Park. The electrically powered machine was used for stripping overburden at Exton Park from 1957 to 1973, when the quarry closed. At the time of its construction it was the largest dragline excavator in the world. The machine was walked 13 miles in 1974 from Rutland to Harringworth, near Corby to continue working at Shotley Ironstone Quarry. Corby’s ironstone quarries closed in 1980 and the machine was scrapped in 1987, but not before the museum saved the cab and other small artefacts for future display.
When Sundew’s cab arrived at Rocks by Rail it was in a sorry state (photographed Sunday 2nd May 2010):
(© Copyright Michael Trolove and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.)