Peckett & Sons, Works Number 1257 built in 1912.
The locomotive of Peckett Class R2 was delivered new on 11th November 1912 to the new ironstone quarries that James Pain was developing at Uppingham. The quarry line connected to the LNWR Seaton to Uppingham branch. The initial quarry, known as Glebe Pit was in full production by 1914 and shortly followed by a second quarry known as Adderley Pit. The quarries suffered in the post war slump in the steel industry and they closed in mid-1925. Shortly afterwards UPPINGHAM was transferred to the James Pain quarries at Market Overton in Rutland. James Pain’s quarries were taken over by the Stanton Ironworks Company in 1928.
UPPINGHAM worked at Market Overton until put through Holwell Works for overhaul in 1947 and was then transferred to the Wirksworth limestone quarries of Bowne & Shaw Ltd, by this time part of the same Stanton Ironworks Company group.
The locomotive was purchased upon retirement and a tentative restoration began as part of the Midland Railway Trust collection then housed at Normanton Barracks in Derby.
After many years in storage the locomotive only survived as a kit of parts until rescued by museum members reflecting its significance to our collection and the heritage of ironstone mining in the local area.
Uppingham returned to Rutland in June 1978 and was subsequently acquired by the Museum with the aid of a Science Museum PRISM Grant.
The Museum intends to eventually rebuild the locomotive in its as delivered condition but it is unlikely that the locomotive will be returned to operational condition. Awaiting its turn for major conservation work to commence the loco is stored on display within the Simon Layfield Exhibition Centre.