Hudswell Clarke & Co. Ltd., Works Number 1308 built in 1918.
Lloyds Ironstone Co., Corby & Glendon Quarries, Northants.
Delivered new on 15th January 1918, this loco was a second generation of Corby locomotives which were required as the quarrying there became more distant and mechanised, ousting small locomotives like Hunslet built VIGILANT.
RHOS was subsequently numbered No.39 in the Corby fleet, an identity it retained until the end of its career.
RHOS was transfered to the nearby Glendon East quarries in January 1952 where it worked alongside another locomotive formerly in our collection, namely HOLWELL No.14.
Returning to Corby in 1957, it holds the distinction of being the last steam locomotive to have received a full overhaul in Corby Works. That this was thorough is demonstrated by the casting of three wheel centres to replace worn out components. Later service at Corby was characterised by dumpcar overburden service and tool van trip working. RHOS headed an Industrial Railway Society visit to Cory in the late 1960’s.
Initially secured for preservation when steam working finished on the quarry lines at Corby in 1969 the loco was subsequently purchased by the “1308 Trust” and is currently in store at the Museum pending future plans of its owning Trust.